Monday, September 8, 2008

Little White Salmon River

Jacob on S-Turn Falls

I finally was able to make my first trip down the legendary Little White Salmon River this weekend. What a fantastic river. We had low flows which provided a more technical run, but lots of eddies. We had around 2.5' on the stick gauge at the put in. The trip consisted of myself and Jacob Cruiser. Jacob's dad had planned on hiking in to meet up with us below Boulder Sluice so as to avoid Gettin' Busy, a half mile class V boulder garden dropping around 150'. Unfortunately he took a fall on the way in ending his plans for the day. (He ended up with some broken ribs, I hope he has a quick recovery) Jacob and I took our time, scouting when needed, which is often on this run. We had a fantastic trip and I feel lucky to have been able to experience this incredible place. There are some great write ups out there about this run and I would direct you there for more details. Jason Rackley has an excellent site that I would strongly recommend: Oregon Kayaking.

Spirit Falls
For those of you who aren't familiar with the Little White, here is a neat perspective of it by Evan Garcia. (The water level in this video is significantly higher than on our trip)


Little White Helmet Camera from Evan Garcia on Vimeo.



1 comment:

Will Volpert said...

What's the word, Ryan... What's the word??? I've got the right boat and the right r2 buddy.

Will